Tax Return and Refund

International Student Tax Return and Refund

International Students or Foreign Students in F1, J1 visas are considered Non Residents for Tax purposes and their taxation laws are different than US citizens.Another important thing to understand about international student taxation, is that the International Students pay only Federal and State Taxes. They do not pay Social Security and Medicare Taxes to the IRS like the United States citizens. This means if as a F1 international student or a optional or curriculum practical training student,you had filed Social Security and Medicare taxes to the IRS, you can get tax refund by filing Form 843

If you have not received any source of income you’ll need to file Form 8843
If you have received income in the last calendar year then you will need to file Form 8843 and most likely Form 1040NR or the EZ Version.

Every international student along with their dependents will need to file Form 8843. Every individual, regardless of whether they are one family, will need to file their own Form 8843 and send it in a separate envelope. For more information, read on for more specifics on filing your taxes in the US. All F-1 and J-1 international students and scholars who were present in the U.S. during any portion of the past calendar year are required to file tax forms with the United States federal government. This is true whether or not you worked in the U.S., gained income in the U.S., or received a scholarship during the past calendar year.

Do I Need a Social Security Number or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number to File Form 8843?

Generally, no. Nonresident aliens who are not required to file an income tax return (Form 1040NR or Form 1040NR-EZ), but who are required to file Form 8843 , need not apply for a Social Security number (SSN) or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). If, however, an SSN/ITIN has been assigned, the number must be included on Form 8843.

An exception to this rule is for individuals who are eligible to be claimed as dependents on a U.S. income tax return. Such individuals must have an SSN/ITIN. Only nonresident aliens from a very limited number of countries may claim an exemption for their dependents on their U.S. income tax return (Form 1040NR). In such a case, any dependent who is claimed must have a SSN/ITIN.

An exemption for spouse and/or dependents is only applicable if the country of tax residence is:

  • American Samoa
  • Canada
  • Korea
  • Mexico
  • Northern Mariana Islands
  • India (applicable only to F-1 and J-1 students)

International Students Tax Treaty Benefits

International Student Tax Forms - F1 J1 OPT visa taxes

There are many ways to file your taxes. You can file the proper forms on your own, you can hire a tax attorney, or you can purchase tax preparation software . Most international students file on their own, however this will depend on the complexity of your earned income (if any!). If you would like help doing your taxes, we can do your taxes for a nominal fee. Contact Us today for a free Consultation