E-filing with SNN/ITIN mismatch.

By Alex Oware on 06/24/2015 10:00 PM

Question: Is it Possible to e-file a Return with an ITIN/SSN Mismatch?


Answer: Yes, it is now possible to e-file; see the IRS information page for more information


Tax returns filed with an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number reporting wages paid are required to show the Social Security Number under which the wages were earned. This creates an identification number (ITIN/SSN) mismatch. In the past, returns with this mismatch could only be filed on paper. Due to programming changes the IRS' e-file system can now accept these returns. The taxpayer's correct ITIN should be used as the identifying number at the top of Form 1040. When inputting W-2 information, the SSN should be entered exactly as shown on the Form W-2 issued by the employer. It is now possible to e-file a return with an ITIN/SSN mismatch. This programming change will help ensure that the correct tax information is being captured in the most efficient manner possible. It will reduce the burden on taxpayers filing this type of return."

***Disclaimer: I am a tax accountant and a CPA , but I am not your accountant or advocate (Unless you have signed up to my services). This communication is not intended as tax advice, and no tax accountant -client relationship results**