Deducting Travel and Immigration Expenses

By Alex Oware on 06/24/2015 10:00 PM

QUESTION: I’m a 25 year old Mexican, married to a US teacher; I have lived in US since I was a small boy. Upon advise of attorney, I flew back to Mexico in August of 2014 to stay one year so I can gain legal status here in the US. I have filed income returns since 18. I consider Louisville, Ky to be my home tax base. I have ITIN number. What portion, if any, of my travel expenses to Mexico are deductible?

ANSWER: None of your travel expenses would be deductible. Your move or visit to Mexico was clearly personal, not business related. You cannot deduct Moving expenses that are not associated with your job. Other expenses not allowed are immigration visa expenses, such as obtaining a Green Card or H-1B visa.

***Disclaimer: I am a tax accountant and a CPA , but I am not your accountant or advocate (Unless you have signed up to my services). This communication is not intended as tax advice, and no tax accountant -client relationship results**