In these crazy times , every bit of information is helpful…
If you are wondering what’s happening with the economic stimulus payments. We want you to know what’s happening so far. Good news is IRS has recently released a new tool to help non-filers register for coronavirus checks/economic stimulus payments.
Who is eligible for the Economic Impact Payment?
- Have a valid Social Security number,
- Could not be claimed as a dependent of another taxpayer, and
- Had adjusted gross income under certain limits.
I file my taxes every year , Do I need to register?
Most eligible U.S. taxpayers will automatically receive their Economic Impact Payments including:
- Individuals who filed a federal income tax for 2018 or 2019
- Individuals who receive Social Security retirement or Social Security Disability Insurance benefits (read further if you have dependents)
- Individuals who receive Railroad Retirement benefits(read further if you have dependents)
Who is a Non-Filer?
Non-Filers are US citizens and permanent residents whose total income for the year doesn’t exceed certain thresholds. If your income is below that threshold, you generally do not need to file a federal tax return.
You are a Non-Filer if you’re a US citizen or permanent resident and meets one of the criteria below:
- Had gross income that did not exceed $12,200 ($24,400 for married couples) for 2019
- Were not otherwise required to file a federal income tax return for 2019, and didn’t plan to
Any other information for Non-Filers with Dependents?
- Veterans beneficiaries and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) recipients can either use Non-Filers registration process or wait as the IRS continues to review automatic payment options to simplify delivery for these groups
- Social Security, SSDI and Railroad Retirement beneficiaries with qualifying dependents under age 17 may use Non-Filers registration process to claim the $500 payment per child.
Are students considered as Non-Filers?
If someone else claimed you on their tax return, you will not be eligible for the Economic Impact Payment or using the Non-Filer tool.
Where should I register for the coronavirus check?
You can provide the necessary information to the IRS easily and quickly for no fee through the Non-Filers Link here:
Enter your Payment Info. IRS will use the information to determine your eligibility and payment amount and send you an Economic Impact Payment.
Please note that after providing this information you won’t need to take any additional action
How difficult is the registration process?
Registration is very simple and easy , follow the steps below for a successful registration
- Click on this Link
- Create an account by providing your email address and phone number; and establishing a user ID and password.
- You will be directed to a screen where you will input your filing status (Single or Married filing jointly) and personal information.
- Note: Make sure you have a valid Social Security number for you (and your spouse if you were married at the end of 2019) unless you are filing “Married Filing Jointly” with a 2019 member of the military. Make sure you have a valid Social Security number or Adoption Taxpayer Identification Number for each dependent you want to claim for the Economic Impact Payment.
- Check the “box” if someone can claim you as a dependent or your spouse as a dependent.
- Complete your bank information (otherwise IRS will send you a check).
- You will be directed to another screen where you will enter personal information to verify yourself. Simply follow the instructions. You will need your driver’s license (or state-issued ID) information. If you don’t have one, leave it blank.