Using wrong filing status and subsequent amendment

By Alex Oware on 06/24/2015 10:00 PM

QUESTION: I am from India and have been doing my tax return for 5 years. In the past I have been filing as single. I have been married for 7 years and my wife has a Social security card which says "Valid for Work Only with DHS Authorization" My wife has had this card since 2008, does this qualify me to file MFJ with my wife and also can I e-file?

ANSWER: Yes, you can file MFJ electronically with your wife’s SSN. You can also amend prior year returns.

***Disclaimer: I am a tax accountant and a CPA , but I am not your accountant or advocate (Unless you have signed up to my services). This communication is not intended as tax advice, and no tax accountant -client relationship results**