Requesting for ITIN and filing an extension

By Alex Oware on 06/24/2015 10:00 PM

Question: I want to file a joint return with a non-resident alien spouse. But I need to first apply for an ITIN for my spouse so I have to file an extension. But the efiled extension has been rejected because my spouse does not have a SSN or an ITIN. What can we do now??

Answer: You file Form 4868 by mail. In the field for the spouse's SSN, write "ITIN to be requested." Since you’re the US citizen, you should be the primary taxpayer, so the extension and any payment that goes with it, will reference your SSN. This procedure is described in the instructions for Form 4868.

***Disclaimer: I am a tax accountant and a CPA , but I am not your accountant or advocate (Unless you have signed up to my services). This communication is not intended as tax advice, and no tax accountant -client relationship results**