IRS Offers Free Tax Filing Options to Help Families Save Money
Families looking to save money during tax season can take advantage of the Internal Revenue Service’s (IRS) Free File program. The program provides online tax preparation software, electronic filing, and direct deposit of refunds at no cost to eligible taxpayers.
IRS Free File software can help families identify valuable tax credits that may reduce the amount of tax owed or increase their refund. Here are some key points to keep in mind about IRS Free File and the tax benefits that can put money back into the pockets of taxpayers:
- The IRS Free File tax preparation software is available to taxpayers and families with a total adjusted gross income of $73,000 or less in 2022. The software is offered in both English and Spanish.
- By using IRS Free File software, taxpayers can find and calculate valuable tax credits, such as the Earned Income Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit, and the Child and Dependent Care Credit.
- Any individual or married couple meeting the income limitation is potentially eligible, and IRS Free File can handle complex tax returns as well.
- The program is exclusively available on the IRS website. Taxpayers can browse through trusted IRS Free File providers or use the lookup tool to find the product that best suits their needs.
- Each IRS Free File partner sets its own eligibility criteria based on factors such as income, age, and state residency. However, all taxpayers who meet the $73,000 income limit will find at least one free product to use.
- Taxpayers can access IRS Free File from any personal computer, tablet, or smartphone.
Additional options for military members and certain veterans include MilTax online software, offered through the Department of Defense. This software allows eligible taxpayers to prepare and electronically file their federal tax returns and up to three state returns for free.
For qualified taxpayers, free one-on-one tax preparation help is also available nationwide through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) programs. Utilizing these services can provide significant financial relief for families during tax season.
***Disclaimer: This communication is not intended as tax advice, and no tax accountant -client relationship results**