Navigating the Universe of Alien Tax Clearance A Guide for Resident and Nonresident Aliens in the U.S

Navigating the Universe of Alien Tax Clearance A Guide for Resident and Nonresident Aliens in the U.S

Alien Tax Clearance: The Fun and Engaging Guide to Departing the U.S.

Saying goodbye to the United States can be a bittersweet experience, especially when you have to deal with the IRS before you go! Let’s dive into the world of Alien Tax Clearance and make it as entertaining as possible. Buckle up!

Not Required to Obtain Alien Tax Clearance

First, let’s look at the lucky ones who don’t need to bother with Alien Tax Clearance. You’re off the hook if you fall into one of these six categories:

  • Category 1: Diplomats and their households (no taxes for you, your excellency!)
  • Category 2: International organization employees, foreign government employees, and their households (you guys are just as cool as the diplomats, we promise).
    *Note: If you’re in Category 1 or 2 and filed a special waiver under §247(b) of the Immigration and Nationality Act, you still need a permit, even if your income is exempt from U.S. tax.
  • Category 3: Alien students, trainees, and exchange visitors with F, H, J, or Q visas (as long as they receive no income from U.S. sources).
  • Category 4: Alien students with M-1 or M-2 visas (same deal as Category 3).
  • Category 5: Certain temporary aliens with no taxable U.S. income (e.g., military trainees, short-term visitors, and travelers in transit).
  • Category 6: Canadian/Mexican residents who commute to the U.S. for work and whose wages are subject to U.S. withholding tax (we see you, cross-border workers!).

Form 2063 and Form 1040-C

If you don’t fit into one of those lucky categories, you’ll need to obtain a departure or sailing permit. Choose your adventure:

  • Form 2063: For those with no taxable income or who have cooperated with the IRS like a champ.
  • Form 1040-C: For everyone else (don’t worry, you’re still cool).

When and How to Apply for a Departure or Sailing Permit

Timing is everything! Apply for your permit 30 days before leaving but at least two weeks in advance. Make an appointment at your nearest Taxpayer Assistance Center, and don’t forget these 11 essential items:

  1. Passport and alien registration card or visa (your ticket to ride).
  2. Copies of your U.S. income tax returns from the past two years (your financial autobiography).
  3. Receipts for income taxes paid on those returns (proof of your tax-paying prowess).
  4. Evidence of deductions, business expenses, and dependents (the more the merrier).
  5. Statement of wages and tax withheld from your employer (or income and expenses if self-employed).
  6. Proof of any estimated tax payments (gotta love those quarterly payments).
  7. Documents showing gains or losses from property sales (your personal Monopoly game).
  8. Documents about scholarships or fellowship grants (congrats, smarty pants!).
  9. Evidence of any special tax treaty benefits (because who doesn’t love a good treaty?).
  10. Proof of your departure date (the bittersweet finale).
  11. Document verifying your U.S. taxpayer identification number (it’s like your tax fingerprint).

With these items in hand and any taxes paid, you’ll have your departure permit in no time. Safe travels and may the tax force be with you! For more information, check out Publication 519, U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens.

***Disclaimer: This communication is not intended as tax advice, and no tax accountant -client relationship results**

« »