Illegal Immigrants who use ITIN Number for Employment

Illegal Immigrants who use ITIN Number for Employment

Question: Why can’t an illegal or undocumented immigrant with an ITIN work for a US employer?

Answer: An ITIN is a nine-digit number issued by the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to individuals who are required for U.S. tax purposes to have a U.S. taxpayer identification number but who do not have, and are not eligible to obtain, a social security number (SSN).

The ITIN is for federal tax purposes only. It does not entitle you to social security benefits and does not change your immigration status or your right to work in the United States. Also, individuals filing tax returns using an ITIN are not eligible for the earned income credit (EIC).

However, if you’re illegal or undocumented and earning wages or income, you are required to report income and pay taxes just like anyone else, which is what the ITIN is for. Basically, the ITIN can’t be given to an employer because an ITIN doesn’t make you legal to hire.

***Disclaimer: This communication is not intended as tax advice, and no tax accountant -client relationship results**

« »